Friday, April 19, 2013

Taking "every" thought captive

 The last few weeks, a certain health issue has caused me to lose quite a bit of sleep.  Some nights, I get none.  Others, once my mind and body are deplete of all energy, I fall asleep in the wee hours of the morning right before I am supposed to get up.

 It has definitely been a very hard 'almost month', but I am so grateful for all the good the Lord has brought out of this trying season; in causing me to rely solely on His grace for strength, and for all the ways He is stretching and refining me, and growing His character in me.

  The first thing I had to learn was that exhaustion is no excuse for a fleshly attitude.  Irritation, frustration, and anger and anxiety have no place in my life, because God's grace is sufficient to impart His meek and gentle spirit to me if I just ask.  It does not make a difference how tired I am, for He has promised that in my weakness, His strength is made perfect. (2 Cor 12:9)

  Next, I have found how extremely easy it is to let your mind wander when lying awake for hours at night.  I've noticed that whatever I have been feeding my mind during the day, those things are what I think about at night.  So, if my day is spent immersed in the Word, praying, and meditating on the truths of the gospel, it is a lot easier for me to "take every thought captive to the will of Christ Jesus" when I cannot sleep.  (2 Cor 10:5)
  Memorizing scripture has been a huge help as well; the more scripture I know by heart, the more the Word consumes my thoughts.

  Oh, our Lord is so good and kind!  And He is so very faithful to fulfill His promise to give us everything we need for life and godliness! (2 Pet 1:3)  It has been so exciting to see first hand that truly, "all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose!" (Rom 8:28)

All praise and glory to Jesus Christ, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Janna praise Jesus indeed! Thank you for sharing... I have been lacking sleep in the past month and it has been challenging I would say coping in the flesh but oh praise Jesus truly for the grace He so freely gives us. I too have found myself in a place where I can only turn to the One who can live this victorious life. Abiding in Him is my reality and the only way I can go on. Oh the sweet marvellous truth in knowing that we can't but He can! I have been so encouraged by your desire to meditate on our Beloved Saviour as you remember Him (psalm 63:6). I have been filling my mind with scripture and consciously thinking and meditating on Him and His attributes and qualities (phil 4:8) There really is a great truth in this old hymn:
    Turn your eyes upon Jesus
    Look full in His wonderful face
    And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
    In the light of His glory and grace

    Oh to have Him and want more and more. May this desire continue to consume our whole being. Our Jesus is so so so good.

    I love you Janna :) Keep writing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How glad I am to know the Lord used this to encourage you, and that He has produced so great a love and desire for His abiding presence in you! Oh praise our Dear Jesus; He is ever faithful to make His love abound in our hearts! And yes, His glorious light will cast out all shadows of this weary world!
    I love you dear Stephanie and am praying for you daily.:)

    ReplyDelete