As we seek to be conformed to the image of Christ Jesus, we can be certain that the refining process will not always be pleasant or easy, and more often than not, quite painful. But when the pruning yields the fruit of His righteousness, and we see the smile on our Dear Father's face, we realize it wasn't all that bad in the first place!
Several days ago, I had quite the convicting experience regarding an aspect of my life which I thought I had fully surrendered to the Lord; that "my" possessions, are not "mine". Over and over again this day, I was asked to let someone borrow something or another of mine. After about the fifth thing, I was thinking, "wow, why am I having to be so generous today?". Now, nearing the end of the day, when I was asked to give something that would impede on my own personal time and cause me to have to change my own plans for the evening, I found myself struggling to say yes immediately. That thing was important to me and I had been planning this all day. But then the Lord brought the Word to mind. "Give to him that asketh of thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away." -Matt 5:42 I knew what I should do, His Word clearly told me. So I said yes, but rather half-heartedly. Again, He brought to mind the verse, "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. -2 Cor 9:7
Oh, I praise the Lord that His grace does not fail us, and that He is ever patient with our childish, weak minds. He is able to keep us from falling and present us faultless before Him! (Jude 1:24) If I were left to myself, I could never make it! What a loving God we belong to! And what a privilege, honor, and joy it is to be wholly given, and to give all to such a Worthy Lord!
My prayer that night was, "Oh Father, who am I to hold on to that which you have freely given me? How can I keep that which is not truly mine? All I possess, I have received from Your hand. Oh, give me the grace to learn from Your own example and give freely to all who ask of me, without promise of return or even thanks! For I am dead, and my life is hid with Christ, in Thee!"
When we surrender our bodies to Him as a living sacrifice, we give up the right to have any personal belongings. All is now His, to do with as He sees fit. Which means whenever someone asks, we are to give. And we are to give freely, going above and beyond their expectations. Was not Christ the perfect example of this? He only went where the Father led, only spoke what the Father told Him to speak, only did what the Father told Him to do. And when His Father asked Him to give His very life, He gave it freely, and it was His joy to do so! We never deserved what He gave, and could never have imagined so wonderful a plan of Redemption! He went exceedingly above all that we could ask or imagine!
Knowing how great an honor we have in following in the footsteps of our Savior, let us go forth with hearts that know that we give unto the Lord, not only unto men. (Col 3:23) Let us have that mind in everything we do, for that is the mind of Christ, and that is the mind He has given us!
Now unto the most worthy name of Jesus, be all glory and honor and praise due His name!
No comments:
Post a Comment